Chicken Italiano (My Favorite)...

Remember the other day when I listed the reasons I'm ready for fall? Well, I got started on that list tonight by making this soup. I remember the first time I made this... it was two years ago, a few months after we got married. As it came together and I got a good whiff of the Italian seasoning, it felt like being instantly transported back to my childhood and rainy Washington. Don't you love when that happens? (The memory thing, not the rainy Washington thing... unless you grew up there too.)

Anyway, this soup is sooo good and the best part about it is that it only gets better as leftovers. There aren't a ton of recipes I make that I actually get excited about reheating for lunch the next day, but this one is awesome. So, here it is.

First, round up your ingredients. You need:
- 3-4 chicken breasts (if they're small... 2 big ones should be enough.)
- One large onion, chopped
- 4 cans of italian style stewed tomatoes (You can find these at Walmart, but if for some reason your grocery store doesn't have them, regular stewed tomatoes are fine. Just add a little extra italian seasoning.)
 - One can of corn
 - One cup of uncooked rice
 - 2 tablespoons paprika
 - 2 tablespoons italian seasoning (or more if needed =)
 - Salt to taste

First, cover the chicken with water and boil until cooked through. Then remove from the water, shred, and return to water. Add all canned vegetables (undrained), onion, rice, and seasonings. Heat until heated through and rice is tender (letting it come to a boil is the easiest way to make sure it's done... takes about 30 minutes.)

And, if you were the kid who complained that the book didn't have enough pictures...

 
That's a looot of onions. But only part of the chicken.
 
 
Since there are a multitude of cans to open, I enlist the help of Mr. McNeese.
 
 
He does good work.
 
 
There it is, just stirred together.
 
 
And the finished product. Yum.

Guys, I promise you want to try this. It's good with crackers, and even though I've never tried it, maybe with cheese sprinkled in, chili-style? Who knows? Anyway, It's my mom's recipe, so you know it's good. Plus, it makes a ton and tastes even better then second (or third) day. What, you don't make a meal that lasts half a week so you don't have to cook for 3 days? Yeah, me neither.

Enjoy this first taste of fall! =)


Ash

3 comments

  1. Mmmmm....I bet this would be good with some home-made bread!!! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I think I'm going to make this tonight. It looks so good! Laura, it's great with corn bread!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!